I get bored easily. I have noticed that unless I have some kind of goal to aim for, or unless I have someone keeping me accountable, I can easily put things off until another time (why do something today if you can put it off until tomorrow?).
And once I have put something off once, it is easy to put it off again (if it was all that important, I would have done it by now!). And then my consistency goes all to pot. So one trick I use to con myself into keeping on going is to set myself little challenges/games. This is my latest… My girlfriend is REALLY looking forward to opening her advent calendar. But I banged my head recently and have decided to set myself an Advent Challenge.
In the run up to Christmas, I am going to do 2,500 Bastards.
Starting on December the first and ending on Christmas day itself, I am going to do 100 bastards each and every day. And here are the rules I have set myself so far (I have a bad habit of bending rules unless they are cast in stone by the Gods themselves):
- 100 full, quality Bastards each and every day (no rubbishy half-harted ones with a rubbish jump/pressup). After all, a challenge isn’t a challenge if it is easy.
- A day lasts from midnight to midnight. I am not likely to wake up at 1am in order to do them, but at least the option is there if I am feeling a bit odd/drunk.
- They can be spread out or grouped together in any way (eg I can do all 100 in one go, or do 10 sets of 10 over 10 hours etc).
- I can not do any less than 100 a day, and any over 100 do NOT count to the total (so I can’t do 200 in one day, then take the next day off). This means I have to be consistent.
I am hoping this advent challenge will tick all my character flaw boxes:
- I can honestly say that I wont be lazy if I am doing shed loads of bastards every day…they are not easy or nice and everyone sane avoids them like the plague.
- It won’t take that long to do 100 of them, so I will have little chance to get bored.
- I don’t need any equipment or gym memberships or have to spend any money at all to do this.
- Announcing this here will mean I can’t give up half way through, because my ego won’t let me face that shame and my sister will never let me live it down (and feel free to slap me hard if I make any lame, whining excuses as to why I havent done them).
So there we go. This is one of the random tricks I play on myself to stop me getting fat and lazy. Do you have any tricks that work for you? As always, feel free to share this with anyone you think may be interested using the buttons below. Thanks!