Also known as: (if you know this by any other name, leave a comment below).
Main muscles used: Bum, legs, back.
Other muscles used: Forearms, lats.
- The natural curve of your back should not change throughout the move.
- Push your chest and bum out at the start and end of the move.
- The key words to get you in the right position are “tits out & bum out“
- Keep the weight as close to your centreline as possible.
- When lifting the weight, start straightening your knees first, and your hips second.
- When lowering the weight, start bending your hips first, and your knees second.
- Keep your arms locked straight all the time.
- Bending and hunching your spine forwards.
- Leaning back at the top of the move.
- Not sticking your bum out enough at the bottom of the move.
- Bending your knees too far forwards over your toes.
- Holding the weight too far in front and away from your centreline.
- Trying to pick up the weight with your arms, instead of using your legs and bum.
Comments: The Deadlift teaches us how to pick things up from the floor without hurting ourselves. It is also a very good exercise for the back half of our bodies. Because we can’t see the back half of our bodies, most of us don’t think about, and neglect them.